Often after dinner, I’ll put my dishes in the sink instead of straight in the dishwasher – even though it takes 30 seconds. Or I’ll leave the laundry in the dryer for DAYS because I hate to fold it – even though I timed myself folding my last load and it took me less than 5-7 minutes from start to finish.
In both cases, taking the 5 minutes or less to make things right leaves me with things I love – a clean sink, a completely finished task – but I tend to overhype what it takes to get there 😉
So I’ve been challenging myself to bite off just small tasks at a time around the house. While we use my Home, Clean Home system to check off most of these items, I can take 5 minutes here and there to make sure we’re staying on top of the list or just get things back in order.
Whether you find yourself with a few extra minutes before your next task, need specific tasks to delegate to your kids as a part of a chore system, or are feeling overwhelmed with where to start and just need some small wins – these 20 “bite-size” ideas are perfect!
20 quick cleaning tasks you can do anytime!
Clean your garbage disposal.
- If you have one of these, you know that it will turn on you if you don’t take care of it! The odor can be no joke. Some of my favorite ways to keep ours clean & happy is (1) running it with ice cubes to sharpen the blades, (2) adding cleaning vinegar & baking soda, letting it sit, then washing it down with boiling water, or (3) using frozen, diced oranges & lemons as “fresheners”!
Spot clean & disinfect your fridge.
- This doesn’t have to be a deep clean! Take a disinfectant wipe, or just a rag with some cleaning vinegar, and hit the high points. The condiment shelves can get dirty quickly, or you may want to clean the shelves you use most.
- Disinfect your dish tools & wipe down your sink.
- I like to put cleaning vinegar in a measuring cup, dilute it a bit, then let my
- *, etc. soak for a few hours! It takes just a few more seconds to wipe down your sink, around the faucet, and any surfaces behind.
- Wipe down doorknobs and light switches.
- Sharpen knives.
- Clean your microwave.
- Microwaving 1 cup of cleaning vinegar in
- loosens up any residue, and just a quick wipe will do the trick!
- Clean your range hood filter. Check out my instructions here, along with other monthly cleaning tips!
- Wipe down kitchen backsplash.
- Flip your furniture cushions.
- Bonus points if you have time to vacuum any collections underneath 😊
- Have blankets your family uses all the time?
Throw one in the laundry.
- Change your HVAC filter.
- Clean your shower curtains
- . I feel like we are always getting pink mildew build-up, so I regularly clean our curtains! Instead of buying a replacement, you can often (1) dilute some bleach in a large container, and let the end of the curtain soak for a while before rinsing or (2) take it down and run it through the washer with just some cleaning vinegar!
- *, while makes it easier to go the first route.
- Take a trash bag out to your car
- and clean out any items that shouldn’t be there! (Alright, I know this isn’t technically your home but it’s still important.)
- If your clothes hamper has a fabric liner
- , throw it in with your next load of laundry.
- Clean out your medicine cabinets
- and add any expiring items to your grocery list.
- Check windows & doors for air leaks, or tighten any loose screws around the house
- (handles, knobs, etc.)
- Test your smoke detectors* and replace any batteries needed
- Test your water heater’s pressure relief valve and or/ your water shutoff valve.
- Wipe down the outside of your kitchen trash can*
- . This can get gross pretty quickly and is one place I often overlook!
- Practice timed tidying
- – set a timer for 5 to 10 minutes and see how much you can get back in order! Do your best to focus on one thing at a time, or identify just one room.